SpeakerNet News Teleseminars
Beyond Presentation Basics:
Creating a Home Run Speech Every Time
Bert Decker, CSP, CPAE
How to order the recording:
Additional resources for this seminar:
- Handout -- (PDF, 2.2MB)
You know you’re a good speaker. You get good — often great — evaluations and audience response. But you’re sure you could be even better with some tweaking. What can you tweak? You have good content, strong delivery, engaging stories and humor, effective body language, and no non-words. What is there between what you’re doing now and what could yield a much bigger impact? You don’t have delusions of being a Martin Luther King, Jr., Steve Jobs, Oprah, or Barack Obama. But you can learn from these great presenters how to make your own talks even more powerful.
Bert Decker, chairman of Decker Communications, Inc., has analyzed great speakers for years, for his clients as well as for major media. He will help you understand what outstanding presenters do that “okay” ones don't. He’ll give you tips and techniques that you can use to turn more of your speeches into home runs.
You will learn:
- how to decide the experience you want to create
- how to use your authentic energy and uniqueness on purpose and with power
- the difference between oratory, “speechifying,” and illustrated lecture — and which one is right for you
- when to use rhetorical and oratorical devices like alliteration, repetition, the “rule of three,” and “set ’em up and knock ’em down”
- how to put into practice becoming more open vs. closed, vulnerable vs. distant, fluid vs. stiff
More about our guest expert:
Bert Decker is a national communications expert, best-selling author and entrepreneur, founding the 100-person communications training company Decker Communications, Inc. He has been featured in the NY Times, Business Week, 20/20, as well as being the communications commentator for the NBC TODAY Show for the Presidential Debates.
Bert has served as a presentations coach for Coach to Charles Schwab, U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, former Mattel CEOs John Ammerman and Jill Barrad, Olympians Bonnie Blair and Tom Dolan, SF 49er All-Pro Brent Jones, and dozens of other executives. He is the author of You’ve Got to Be Believed to Be Heard and Speaking with Bold Assurance.